TheSmartAxe

     Recently, I attended a friend’s birthday party at ‘TheSmartAxe,’ an axe throwing restaurant pub place. It was at a very out of the way location, which could have been the reason for its lack of customers but for us. Though, despite the trouble presented by the location, with the charm of the building combined with good service and a clever idea, I found it slightly saddening that such a place would be empty. Though, this remained as a very diminished idea in my subconscious throughout most of my experience there. However, my sympathy for the dedicated owners resurfaced at the end when they made an appearance to say happy birthday and to try and sell us on the idea of advertising for them on social media.
     The owner’s appearance at the end, while kind, through me for a loop when he suggested that we post something on Instagram of our time there while linking ‘TheSmartAxe’ for him. This request for marketing, in the end, was futile. Most of us at the party joked about @ing his business on Instagram,  though I don’t have social media, I agreed that I wouldn’t have done it. That’s why upon reflecting about the encounter, I find it depressing. As a party of high schoolers, goofing off in a virtually empty pub in the middle of nowhere, entertained primarily by our own banter, not the axe throwing, an older guy attempts to pitch us on something he genuinely cares about, that would cost us almost nothing, yet we deny him and laugh about it later. 
     Yet, would it cost us nothing to link it on social media? I’m sure nobody in my class has heard about ‘TheSmartAxe’ right? With its little potential recognition, would posting about it damage my social media street cred? This opposed to linking a similar business on social media, perhaps Dave and Busters. You see, what I’ve found in this guy’s sad attempt to gain some publicity for his pub through teenagers is that through the addition of social media as a primary marketing resource, it’ll now take publicity to gain publicity. 
     This idea even relates back to my last post about Ralph Breaks the Internet! Think about it! Would Coca Cola need to pay Disney to include them in the movie? No! Because Coca Cola provides that ‘relatable’ feeling discussed in the comments because it’s a known brand. So in other words, because Coca Cola is a big well known company, they wouldn’t struggle to gain rights for advertisement in a movie. Yet, say TheSmartAxe wanted rights in the same movie. Would they be payed for their cameo? Would it at least be free? No! They would have to present a HUGE sum of money. I mean, if you were watching the movie and you saw ’TheSmartAxe’ in there, you would be like, “what the hell is that?” 
     Is this fair? Ethical? Beneficial for us as consumers? Likely not. Yet, as media takes a bigger and bigger role in marketing and business as a whole, I find that this pattern is inevitable.

Pce out my lovely bloggin friendos
Rex Yancey



This is what you do there.

Comments

Popular Posts