Media Blog Review

      This media blog has changed my relationship with media, though, it doesn’t show a lot in my daily interactions with it. Both before and after my experience with the media blogs, I’ve watched similar amounts of video games and YouTube, yet, I’ve felt a major paradigm shift in my perspective of major media. For example, I find myself being more critical and suspicious of ads and movies involving other bc brand companies. I find it harder to fall into that trusting ethos of a company because I now know it might be covering up some lack of logos. And, many times these suspicions have been rewarded with a phrase that reveals obvious ambiguity, or an advertisements blind faith in a high concept. So, if I’m seeing these results, have these revelations been productive and helpful, or do they just expose me to another thing to worry about?
     I wouldn’t argue that awareness, despite it often being uncomfortable in regards to media, would be negative. Yet, I find myself searching for faults of any kind in movies and tv shows. I find my recent attention to media very similar to after ninth grade English class. After that class, whenever I watched movies, I couldn’t stop myself from searching for themes. And, though these themes might have given me a deeper understanding of the movies, it did sometimes get in the way of enjoying a movie. So, similarly to how post-media blog I’ve found more hidden and sneaky concepts hidden in media, constant searching for these concepts has made soaking in my normal dose of media less fun. 
     I can’t help but wonder if my personal exhaustion caused by knowing all these secret ins and outs of advertising is an isolated experience. Maybe this is where the idea that ignorance is bliss, comes from. I find it saddening to think that a fear of truth has stopped many of my generation from acknowledging the truths of our main medium, media. I certainly know that if I could forget what I’ve learned in terms of how I’m being manipulated, I wouldn’t choose to forget it, but I’m beginning to suspect that others might.

-peace my blogging friends
Rex

Comments

Popular Posts