Big Brands Branching Out —-> I’m Uncomfortable

     Alright, we’ve all seen the image at the bottom showing how 10 brands control the whole fast and processed food industry, but if you haven’t, take a quick gander. Given that Nestle owns both Breyers and a big lot of candy brands, it’s plausible that Nestle could leverage ownership to boost profit with a joined product, a candy flavored ice cream. I’m not hating Breyers’ Oreo or Reece’s ice cream if that’s your thing, but, I did have a weird interaction with these products two nights ago that makes me question them.
     Two nights ago when we my mom and I picked up some pizza guys for dinner, they told me that we got a ‘free extra’ soda or ice cream because we purchased an extra large pizza. I’m not stupid so of course I looked first at the ice cream, and was shocked! No not really shocked, that might be strange. But later, after truly evaluating what I’d picked out, lil uncomfortable not gonna lie. I’d picked out a KitKat ice cream for my brother and I.
     On its own, nothing wrong, but, I was going Pizza Guys for their brand. It just felt weird, my mom and I reflected that we felt that the brand we chose, Pizza Guys, tricked us into feeding one of their side projects/companies when that’s not why we came to the store, we came for Pizza and for YOU PIZZA GUYS, NOT FOR KITKAT ICECREAM! Ok, it was just me who reflected this, not my mom. But it’s stranger still.
     Apart from getting more items and brands pushed towards us when they weren’t really in the plan,  these companies could easily have been owned by the same big corporation. Because, after reflecting at home, it certainly felt like that was the most plausible explanation. I thought that KitKat was trying out new shenanigans with their Ice Cream and we were having it thrown in our face by their partner in crime, the brand we chose to provide our pizza! Pizza Guys!
     In writing it down, it seems a little less scandalous as it was in my head,but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t uncomfortable. Either way, in the end, my mom and I could at least agree that the thought of a partnership founded on the ‘free extra’ label at the end of a purchase from an entirely different brand, appears a lil sus. Though, who’s gonna pass up free ice cream, and now that most companies are owned by relatively few huge corporations, isn’t that the most efficient way to do it? Yikes!



Ight pce out my bloggin friendos!
Rex

Comments

  1. WOW! I TOTALLY SEE WHA YOU MEAN REX!! like you to somewhere because you know youre going to a specific thing but end up seeing products of other companies, like whoa c'mon people now youre just takin advantage of the system. I wonder if companies do this to save both money for an ad like the ones of TV, but then it makes you question which brand is sponsoing the other and why. and when I think about it, i feel like smaller brands are partnering to get their name more recognized, but how does that work when its two big brands. Well these were my thoughts and I think its so funny how you say "lil." ur a g😂😜👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts