UNPOPULAR OPINION: ANIME IS GOOD?

     Alright: I've watched the shows that my fellow bloggers present as being, 'the best,' but I'd challenge you to think of what makes those shows the best in town? I've heard the arguments for Disney shows(**mild agitation**) and the others, "woah, character growth AND witty jokes, this is hilarious!" Fine, You're entitled to your opinion, but might I just say that both those plus so much more are in "Naruto" for example. Ok, let me slow down. Lets start off with some context, Anime is frowned upon by most communities. As a sixth and seventh grader, I was a true supporter of Naruto(anime) and all his buddies. But, when expressing my interest in an anime show, I was called a weeb. A weeb is a derisive term for a Non-Japanese person who is so obsessed with Japanese culture that they wish they were Japanese. This definition does NOT fit me. I watched 1 show in 6-7th grade, really??? This social stigma is COMPLETELY undeserved in my opinion, and let me tell you why…
      Firstly, plot + character development. Naruto starts off completely isolated from his ninja village because of his immense power and potential. Though, as he grows up, and learns to help and care for others, he slowly gains the support of his village. He finds that their is strength in numbers and that friendships are the strongest bonds. Though, juxtaposed to Naruto, we have Sasuke. Sasuke is the complete opposite of Naruto, he finds strength in personal power, but due to Naruto's influence and friendship, he finds the same strength in bonds. SEE? Pretty cool character huh???
     Secondly, the content is simply better. I mean, ninjas weaving different hand signs to reign magical devastation on all their foes?!? SO COOL! Apart from that, the five warring villages seek to resemble modern governments with interactions and dynamics modeled after the real world, wow! Not to mention the strong bonds formed between powerful ninjas and their animal summons(huge toads, slugs, snakes, foxes). And while you could make the argument that the cartoon medium is worse then real people, but I'd argue too things. One, real people is subjective, because technically the characters in your story aren't real either. And two, the cartoon medium allows for some way cool opportunities/possibilities without the hassle of a new set for the producer.
     Thirdly, values. I wouldn't think it's possible to watch half a Naruto episode without being able to give name to at least three solid values. And, these values aren't anything to joke about, no, Naruto has the strongest moral compass around. While I'm nowhere near the hardworking level the characters in the show are, I feel that they've had a positive influence on me, reaffirming my own moral compass. An example is the reassuring statement that it's Naruto's goal to become Hokage. This would be an incredible achievement, especially for the outcast of the village, Naruto. Though, through his dedication and unrelenting practice and training, he becomes Hokage. So what exactly does this tell us? I don't know, this is just one anime of thousands, and I know little more than the next person(I haven't watched anything besides Naruto), but, maybe this tells us that Anime is worth a shot.

the music is a little weird but here's a trailer for Naruto --- this music isn't in the actual show -- the show is in English though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2hiC9BmJlQ

Comments

Popular Posts